Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New name?
Shawn
post Nov 06, 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #61

God

Group: Full Member
Member No.: 9

I will keep that mikulizer.com in mind. That name may come in handy down the road.

I have gone ahead and purchased brainmeta.com and will set up the site on the new server asap, which will be within the next week. As soon as it's set up, I will have mind-brain.com forward to brainmeta.com, which should give visitors the opportunity to update their links and bookmarks. This will continue up until Dec 02, when the mind-brain.com domain will be officially turned over to Johns Hopkins.

Hopkins does not intend to make any use of the mind-brain.com domain, which means that it's going to be effectively retired from the internet for however long Hopkins decides to keep renewing it. Given that they're not that web-suavy, chances are that they'll mess up renewing the domain name, which would make 'mind-brain.com' available to the public again or to anyone who back-orders it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dan
post Nov 07, 2004, 02:06 AM
Post #62

God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 96

Were you ever told explicitly what it is about your site that is unacceptable? If I had to guess, I would say they claim their credibility is somehow at risk. Of course this is absurd, but what other grounds could they possibly claim?
+Quote Post
lgking
post Nov 07, 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #63

Awakening

Member No.: 2154

"It fits in with the Consciousness Singularity". Because I think of 'spirit' and 'consciousness' as equal partners I am glad to see that you are conscious of the importance of consciouosness. why not http://www.meta-the-brain.com

Click on it and you will find there is no site like this, now.
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Nov 07, 2004, 05:04 AM
Post #64

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

what about brainbeta.com with its implied evolution to something better?

I think I prefer mindbeta.com only because, whilst we do study the brain, it is to comprehend its 'contents' that we focus.

also mikulamind.com sounds good.
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Nov 07, 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #65

God

thanks Bill and Linds for the suggestions. I really liked brainbeta.com too, for the reasons you stated Bill, but unfortunately the names already taken and registered until 2005-04-29, though it doesn't seem like there's any site there. About meta-the-brain.com, I'm not sure since it sounds like 'meta' is the name of 'the brain', like in the phrase 'winnie-the-pooh'. 'Mikulamind.com' is good, or even 'mikmind.com', though they sound too personal.

'mindbeta.com' is available. Quite frankly, I'm rather amazed that such a good domain name hasn't already been taken up. I like this name a lot, though it suggests nothing about the brain or neuroscience. On the other hand, you could say brainmeta.com doesn't imply anything about the mind or consciousness. There are pros and cons to both domains. 'Mindbeta.com' is a really good one, though, and is just as good as brainmeta.com for the new domain name. However, everything is already getting set up for brainmeta.com. It doesn't rule out purchasing mindbeta.com and using it as a pointer to brainmeta.com (sometime down the road).

Dan, about your questions, I was never told that there was anything specifically unacceptable on the site. In the past, there was a supposed 'copyright' issue that involved the posting of small amounts of content from other sites, always with links back to the original site where the content was found so that people would know exactly where the content came from, but even in that instance, it was never conveyed to me that such things were unacceptable precisely because the site was not associated with the university and was not hosted on their servers.

I agree with you that any claim of their credibility being at risk is absurd, though they never explicitly made this claim. Dan, I'm in the in same position your in, in wondering about whether there was anything specifically unacceptable that was on the site. The best I've been able to come up with is that, on my bio and vitae pages, I made explicit references to working at Hopkins, which in retrospect, I should not have made.
+Quote Post
lgking
post Nov 07, 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #66

Awakening

BTW, the following is available http://www.the-meta-brain.com [That which is beyond the brain as a physical/mental organism. I call it the pneuma component, or factor.]

Perhaps we need to stop for a moment and ask ourselves the following question: What is the goal of this site anyway?

Recently, I listened to the following words sung, beautifully, and with a new twist as to their deeper meaning. Lay aside, for a moment, that these are words sung by a male lover to the female object of his forlorn love.

Think of them, rather, as an ode to meditation, as referring to a time when we can close our eyes and turn our faces away from the garish light of day, embracing the darkness of the night. It is then that we let our spirits soar and listen to the music of the night.
================================
--------------------Music Of The Night----------------
===============0000==============

-------------------------PHANTOM-----------------------

"Night-time sharpens, heightens each sensation
Darkness stirs and wakes imagination
Silently the senses abandon their defenses."

"Slowly, gently, night unfurls its splendor
Grasp it, sense it, tremulous and tender
Turn your face away from the garish light of day
Turn your thoughts away from cold unfeeling light
And listen to the music of the night."

"Close you eyes and surrender to your darkest dreams
Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before
Close your eyes, let your spirit start to soar
And you'll live as you never lived before."

"Softly, deftly, music shall surround you
Feel it, hear it, closing in around you
Open up your mind, let your fantasies unwind
In this darkness which you know you cannot fight
The darkness of the music of the night."

"Let your mind start a journey through a strange new world
Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before
Let your soul take you where you want to be
Only then can you belong to me."

"Floating, falling, sweet intoxication
Touch me, trust me, savor each sensation
Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in
To the power of the music that I write
The power of the music of the night"

"You alone can make my song take flight
Help me make the music of the night."

=============000000=============
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Nov 07, 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #67

God

QUOTE (lgking @ Nov 07, 04:35 PM)
Perhaps we need to stop for a moment and ask ourselves the following question: What is the goal of this site anyway?

thanks Linds for the meditation.

The goal of this site is to accelerate/facilitate the progress and development of neuroscience in order to unleash its full potential: consciousness expansion/enhancement.

I think worthwhile secondary goals include the maintainence of a forum for discussion of key issues, and the general provision of relevant information for the purposes of educating others or otherwise spreading information.

The goal of this site is to provide something that I have yet to find on other sites. As corny as it sounds, I have a vision for what this site should be; it is something I have yet to see on any other site (and I have searched widely through the internet for such a site); and that is why it is necessary to take the situation into one's own hands; to create the site that one envisions that has yet to be created.

It reminds me of an anecdote I once read: Someone once asked the great scientist/mathematician Isaac Newton why he built his own microscopes and tools for his experiments, and he replied that if he had to wait for other people to build them, that they would have never been built in his lifetime (or at any rate would have hindered his experiments and development of theories). In a similar vein, I do not want to wait around for someone else to build what I have in mind because I am impatient (about the development of neuroscience). I have seen too many scientists go through their careers, unsatisfied, because the progress they were expecting in their field did not materialize. I see what neuroscience can become, what it can offer, and I'll be damned if I don't see this realized in my lifetime. The site is intended as a step in that direction.
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Nov 07, 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #68

Supreme God

Member No.: 3202

consciousness.com?

+Quote Post
Shawn
post Nov 07, 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #69

God

QUOTE (Trip like I do @ Nov 07, 06:56 PM)
consciousness.com?

someone's already got it. Take a look at their site.
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Nov 07, 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #70

Supreme God

Shawn,

I agree wholeheartedly with your objective and concur that no other site seems to offer what you do! I will also support you in that objective [however you may reply to the following points].

I would ask if you are considering enhancement from the 'best' brains of today, or from the 'worst' brains of today [or both].

The 'best' brains [most capable of original and illuminating thought] for all existing or newborns would be an honourable objective in itself, let alone moving on into the territory of new capabilities for the 'best' brains of today.
Even that advancement would lead to all sorts of problems; like who would empty trashcans when they are capable of designing a rocket to get to another galaxy in 2 seconds!

I suspect there will always be a place, and indeed a need, for the full range of capabilities that we presently possess; we are all of great importance to each other.

I do not mean to imply that we should not seek advancement, but merely recognise that not all may be at the same level at the same time.

I always measure my life by comparison to that of my parents [or perhaps grandparents]. If I am as well off [in general terms, eg,. financially, skill-wise, materially or spiritually], then I am happy with my lot rather than disappointed that some others are either better off or more intelligent/capable than myself.

I would be interested to read your opinion in these respects.

Best regards, Bill.
+Quote Post
lgking
post Nov 08, 2004, 01:27 AM
Post #71

Awakening

Because spirit (pneuma) is beyond mind (psyche), and body (soma), therefore, it is meta-psychosomatic.

I suppose http://spirit.com taken?

And speaking of 'pneuma', interestingly, I came up with the word 'pneumatology' in the early 1960's, before I realized that it is already in the dictionary. World Book Dictionary points that is an archaic term for 'psychology'.

I must check and see if http://www.pneuma.com is taken.

By the way, it is my understanding that psychology broke away from it's parents--theology and philosophy--in the 1880's, with the help of Wilhelm Wundt--the materialistisic son of an evangelical Lutheran pastor, who taught at the university of Leipzig, and the more spiritually-minded William James, who taught at Harvard. When I studied psychology at Mount Allison University, N.B., http://mta.ca in the 1940's, it was part of the philosophy department.

I suspect that much earlier than that, pneumatology, because of its close connection with its parents, myth and theology, resented its younger sibling, psychology and its flirting with the very materialistic, somatology. One of my goals is the reintegration of all of these into a holistic complex

+Quote Post
Psiloman
post Nov 08, 2004, 05:32 AM
Post #72

Awakening

Member No.: 370

As i am the Greek one,i can suggest some Greek names,if i may!

www.Noisis.com (Noisis,Νόηση=the act of thinking,understanding)

www.encephalus.com (Encephalus,Εγκέφαλος=brain ,the one which resides in the head..notice also how the word cephalus (head) incorporates the word phalus which was worshiped in ancient Greece in various forms as a fundamental part of creation)

+Quote Post
Rajesh
post Nov 08, 2004, 09:48 AM
Post #73

Awakening

Member No.: 1690

Few more suggestions (if the decision has not been taken already):

Neuro-Conscious
Neural-Truth
Neural-Reality
Neural-Nature

Unity-Conscious
Conscious-Union
Conscious-Horizon

United-Mind
Mind-Way
Mind-Horizon
Mind-Flow (mindflow already exists)

+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Nov 08, 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #74

Supreme God

quantum-consciousness.com?
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Nov 08, 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #75

Supreme God

quantum-thought.com?

<thought at the speed of light>
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Nov 08, 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #76

Supreme God

multi-dimensional-reality.com?
+Quote Post
Trip like I do
post Nov 08, 2004, 01:09 PM
Post #77

Supreme God

an-eleven-dimensional-universe-in-a-four-dimensional-box.com?
+Quote Post
Eternum 1
post Nov 08, 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 2075

Bi-Cameral Mind.com
+Quote Post
Dan
post Nov 08, 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #79

God

Member No.: 96

brains-kick-ass.com
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Nov 08, 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #80

God

testing
+Quote Post
Shawn
post Nov 09, 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #81

Unregistered

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. Ultimately, the new domain had to accurately reflect what the site was about (or was headed towards). After much consideration of the pros and cons to all of the domain names listed here, I settled on BrainMeta.com. BrainMeta is short, novel, and accurately captures where this site is headed. BrainMeta denotes going beyond the brain. It is different from MetaBrain because MetaBrain denotes a noun, a thing, whereas BrainMeta denotes a process. Strictly speaking, BrainMeta is not even a legitimately constructed word since 'meta' is a prefix. However, the use of it as a suffix denotes a disregard for convention, prevents it from being interpreted as a noun (as in 'metabrain'), and results in it being a totally unique word. Overall, I am very happy with the new domain name, and am actually glad that I changed domains. I hope everyone else appreciates the new name as well.

Here's to new beginnings.
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Nov 09, 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #82

Supreme God

I like your choice simply because it also reads as brain meeter.

I hope it continues, as always, as a forum where minds can meet and develop!
+Quote Post
+Steven Curtis Lance
post Nov 09, 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #83

Supreme God

Group: Poet in Residence
Member No.: 449

To new beginnings, my dear friend!
+Quote Post
Colonel
post Jan 17, 2013, 11:48 PM
Post #84

Unregistered

Woah nelly, how about them alppes!
+Quote Post
Alfonso
post Jan 18, 2013, 12:54 AM
Post #85

Unregistered

Dec01kshitiz Angels khoi good looking ta 1 janna ni deanahdkinin tah.. n i dnt gt it Air Hostess harrru ko lagie ho kii or for any girls there is stated that winner will get chance to b Air Hostess so i am confused..
+Quote Post
Val
post Jan 18, 2013, 06:58 AM
Post #86

Unregistered

Nov15Tyron For the physical relsaee just head over to our and buy whichever one you like. For digital relsaee you can buy it on Amazon or iTunes. Hope that helps buddy.
+Quote Post
post Jan 20, 2013, 03:10 AM
Post #87

Unregistered

Yo, that's what's up turtfhully.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 09:54 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

BrainMeta is supported by:

The Neurological Foundation & CerebralHealth.com

BrainMeta is enhanced by:

UVISI: Universal Virtual Intelligence Singularity Infinity
info@uvisi.com