Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This is what religion makes people do?
Lindsay
post Apr 02, 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #31

God

Group: Basic Member
From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

QUOTE(Rick @ Apr 02, 2008, 04:25 PM) *

... No action can be better than wrong action. Wrong action is often prompted by wishful thinking ... Fellow scientists are often the worst offenders in the way of uncritical belief.

Amazing! Are you claiming that a certain few scientists are able to avoid all wrong--all immoral actions? Who tells such scientists what wrong is wrong, and when it is wrong to do nothing at all--IMO, the worst of wrong "actions".

Incidentally, Roman Catholicism claims that that the Pope is infallible (in matters of faith and morals.) In matters of science and action, are you not claiming something similar for certain scientists?

You warn: "Take for example the CERN apologists who discard out of hand warnings about the dangers of planetary destruction. Their "safety" arguments are based on really really really hoping that nothing bad will happen. See the related topic concerning the Large Hadron Collider at CERN."

HUBRIS. Arrogant pride, the deadliest of all sins
======================================
I, too, am concerned about arrogantly proud, hubris-filled scientists and physicalists who just could be crazy enough to put our planet at risk in order to stroke their own egos. Hitler's scientists were not above such actions.

You say: "Reality is the set of all things that have existence."
If you mean there is only one reality and it is a physical one, I find that unacceptable.

I feel that physical reality exists within that which is ineffable. BTW, being spiritual, I believe it is beyond any human-made destructive force. I am prepared to accept that we are capable of destroying our physical planet. But I feel that this is not necessarily the end of the experiment we all experience as LIFE.

For more on the above, check out a new thread I am proposing in which I would like to dialogue about the positive role of good religion--and there is such a thing--and the struggle for a moral, ethical, humane and loving way of life--not possible before the evolution of human consciousness, which took place long before the myth of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, 4004 BC, as told in Genesis.

The following is a working title, for now:
Without Good Religion--and there are some awful ones--it is pointless to discuss good, evil, or sin--evil at it worst. Without good religion, there is only relativism and all behaviour is animal behaviour--amoral.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rick
post Apr 03, 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #32

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Apr 02, 2008, 09:43 PM) *
Amazing! Are you claiming that a certain few scientists are able to avoid all wrong--all immoral actions? ...

No. I claim that most people suffer (and inflict) from human weakness, including the all-too-common tendency toward wishful thinking.
QUOTE(Lindsay @ Apr 02, 2008, 09:43 PM) *
... You say: "Reality is the set of all things that have existence."
If you mean there is only one reality and it is a physical one, I find that unacceptable.

How do you read "only physical" into my words? Don't you think your thoughts and feelings exist?
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Apr 03, 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #33

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Rick asks: "How do you read "only physical" into my words? Don't you think your thoughts and feelings exist?"

Okay, I take it that you accept qualities which are spiritual "things", not just physical things.
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Apr 05, 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #34

God

QUOTE(Rick @ Apr 02, 2008, 04:25 PM) *

... Fellow scientists are often the worst offenders in the way of uncritical belief. Take for example the CERN apologists who discard out of hand warnings about the dangers of planetary destruction. Their "safety" arguments are based on really really really hoping that nothing bad will happen. See the related topic concerning the Large Hadron Collider at CERN. ...
You mentioned CERN. The following is interesting. And there is no mention of it being a threat to our planet. If it is a danger, will we ever know? Only if consciousness/spirit survives death of the body and brain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/ttv/news...ctid=1466839008
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Apr 05, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #35

God

Scientists, in the video just viewed, tell us that strings are particles measuring a billionth, of a billionth, of a billionth of a billionth of a centimetre long?
There are such things? If so, believing in virgin births and the resurrection of bodies is not all that problematic, IMO. smile.gif

And how about this:
Click on the video PENGUINS TAKE FLIGHT.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/portal/ttv/news...ctid=1466839008

The alarmists tell us:
http://www.reuters.com/article/blogBurst/s...O7Nz1de1q356s6e

http://lhcconcerns.com/
+Quote Post
Rick
post Apr 07, 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #36

Supreme God

Member No.: 3068

The Reuters article is fairly good in that it hits many of the major points and counterpoints, but it is still biased in the dismissive direction. So this guy is willing to take a chance with the world? How big a chance is he going to take? How many cylinders in the roulette revolver?

One in a million? What if he's wrong? Not only do we all die, but all who would ever be born in the future will never live. That's a big gamble.

What the Reuters guy misses about the cosmic ray non-argument is that virtually all intersteller particles (including micro-black holes) reaching us are traveling at high speed (otherwise they never get here). The LHC will be creating black holes at less than Earth escape velocity (10,000 meters per second).
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Apr 08, 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #37

God

Sin, as a noun. World Book Dictionary defines it as:
1. A breaking of the law of God, deliberately.
2. An immoral act; wrongdoing.
========================
COMMISSION & OMISSION
In my opinion there are two kinds of sins: There are sins of commission--the actual doing of harmful things, to self, others, earth and the universe.

And there are sins of omission--the failure to do the good I know I ought to do.

Sin as a verb. My personal definition: I sin, regardless of whether or not there is a god, when I deliberately, and consciously, choose to that which I know is harmful to me, others, the earth and the universe.

I also sin when I refuse to do the good I know I ought to do.

It seems that, on my own, I cannot avoid sinning. This is why I am interested in community building. It is my way of doing as much good as possible. I first learned this as a part of a church fellowship. Churches are, by nature, interested in building communities.

BTW, this brings us to Rick's concern. With him, I certainly hope that our leaders in the world of science want to avoid sin and do that which is good.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 04:46 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

BrainMeta is supported by:

The Neurological Foundation & CerebralHealth.com

BrainMeta is enhanced by:

UVISI: Universal Virtual Intelligence Singularity Infinity
info@uvisi.com