Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Late Christopher Hitchens was an anti-theist, not an atheist, One can question the claims of the many theisms out there without being an atheist.
Lindsay
post Dec 17, 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #1

God

Group: Basic Member
From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

Posted on: 12/17/2011 18:03
Recently, to www.about.com the Atheist/Agnostic Forum, which I frequent, I posted the following topic:

The Late CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS WAS NOT AN ATHEIST... he was an anti-theist.

Immediately, I got the following quick response from a grumpy, not very kind and not the usual open-minded kind of atheist: He said: "I don't believe you."

===============================
Then, I responded, will you believe a CBC podcast which I heard?

Right at this moment I am listening, by podcast, to a recent edition of Q--a news and interviews program--hosted by Jian Ghomeshi.

JG opened the program by referring to the death of Hitchens. He said that he was, "...one of the world's most outspoken atheists, though he often used the stronger term "anti-theist"... "

Later, JG played an interview recorded in Toronto, June, 2009. Christopher Hitchens actually begins the interview by saying: "I should start by saying that I am more of an anti-theist than an atheist ..."

He went on to explain that the whole idea of there being any kind of god, even a good one, was repulsive to him; that he had no need for a BIG brother, let alone a loving father.

It is up to us who created gods and religions in our own images to get on with life, and the passing on of our genes, with the help of good literature, the ironies of life, love and the like. I agree. Here is the podcast, the one which mentions CH,Dec 13:

http://www.cbc.ca/q/episodes/

Long before I had ever heard of CH, as a unitheist/panentheist I was an anti-traditional theist and started looking for a more enlightened kind of theology--the kind I love much in the same way CH said that he loved good literature.
===================

I forgot to mention:This thread at www.scienceagogo.com in the Not-Quite-Science Section is now registering over 3,100,000 hits. My online name is RevLGKing

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2019 - 05:23 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

BrainMeta is supported by:

The Neurological Foundation & CerebralHealth.com

BrainMeta is enhanced by:

UVISI: Universal Virtual Intelligence Singularity Infinity
info@uvisi.com