> Interview: Daniel Dennett's New Book, Dissecting God
Rick
post Feb 21, 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #1

Supreme God

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 3068

Dissecting God

"Philosopher Daniel Dennett argues that America is drowning in religion -- and that faith needs to be analyzed with the tools of science."

Salon.com interview: http://www.salon.com/books/int/2006/02/08/dennett/index.html

I found myself unable to disagree with anything Dennett says in this interview.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Übermensch
post May 09, 2006, 01:21 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5179

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Dennett is "da bomb".

Tell us the story from your new book about the ant and the blade of grass.

Suppose you go out in the meadow and you see this ant climbing up a blade of grass and if it falls it climbs again. It's devoting a tremendous amount of energy and persistence to climbing up this blade of grass. What's in it for the ant? Nothing. It's not looking for a mate or showing off or looking for food. Its brain has been invaded by a tiny parasitic worm, a lancet fluke, which has to get into the belly of a sheep or a cow in order to continue its life cycle. It has commandeered the brain of this ant and it's driving it up the blade of grass like an all-terrain vehicle. That's how this tiny lancet fluke does its evolutionary work.

Is religion, then, like a lancet fluke?

The question is, Does anything like that happen to us? The answer is, Well, yes. Not with actual brain worms but with ideas. An idea takes over our brain and gets that person to devote his life to the furtherance of that idea, even at the cost of their own genetics. People forgo having kids, risk their lives, devote their whole lives to the furtherance of an idea, rather than doing what every other species on the planet does -- make more children and grandchildren.

The capacity of human beings to devote their energy, time, safety and health to the stewardship of an idea is itself a biological phenomenon. That's what distinguishes us from all the other species. We're the only species that can set aside our genetic imperatives and say, "That's not that important, I've got more important things in mind." That uniquely human perspective, unknown by any other species, is a gift of cultural selection.

It's funny, because Dennett, along with a number of other memetics proponents, have distances themselves in recent years from a hardcore defense of memetics as a legitimate theory for information transfer. Yet the above passage is a perfect description of a "memeoid". I wonder if Dennett's strategy will be to ditch the terminology whle keeping the framework...

Memeoid: A neologism for people who have been taken over by a meme to the extent that that their own survival becomes inconsequential. Examples include kamikazes, suicide bombers and cult members who commit mass suicide.
+Quote Post
Culture
post May 10, 2006, 08:54 AM
Post #3

Overlord

Member No.: 4711

QUOTE(Übermensch @ May 08, 10:21 PM) *

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Dennett is "da bomb".

Tell us the story from your new book about the ant and the blade of grass.

Suppose you go out in the meadow and you see this ant climbing up a blade of grass and if it falls it climbs again. It's devoting a tremendous amount of energy and persistence to climbing up this blade of grass. What's in it for the ant? Nothing. It's not looking for a mate or showing off or looking for food. Its brain has been invaded by a tiny parasitic worm, a lancet fluke, which has to get into the belly of a sheep or a cow in order to continue its life cycle. It has commandeered the brain of this ant and it's driving it up the blade of grass like an all-terrain vehicle. That's how this tiny lancet fluke does its evolutionary work.

Is religion, then, like a lancet fluke?

The question is, Does anything like that happen to us? The answer is, Well, yes. Not with actual brain worms but with ideas. An idea takes over our brain and gets that person to devote his life to the furtherance of that idea, even at the cost of their own genetics. People forgo having kids, risk their lives, devote their whole lives to the furtherance of an idea, rather than doing what every other species on the planet does -- make more children and grandchildren.

The capacity of human beings to devote their energy, time, safety and health to the stewardship of an idea is itself a biological phenomenon. That's what distinguishes us from all the other species. We're the only species that can set aside our genetic imperatives and say, "That's not that important, I've got more important things in mind." That uniquely human perspective, unknown by any other species, is a gift of cultural selection.

It's funny, because Dennett, along with a number of other memetics proponents, have distances themselves in recent years from a hardcore defense of memetics as a legitimate theory for information transfer. Yet the above passage is a perfect description of a "memeoid". I wonder if Dennett's strategy will be to ditch the terminology whle keeping the framework...

Memeoid: A neologism for people who have been taken over by a meme to the extent that that their own survival becomes inconsequential. Examples include kamikazes, suicide bombers and cult members who commit mass suicide.

Awesome article and interesting response Superman! Will give a detailed response ASAP
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Jun 03, 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #4

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 4838

Rick:

I am surprised that this thread has not taken off. Let me see if I can help it take off by introducing a new way of symbolizing the god-concept. Thanks to you, I took the time to do some research on the mathematical symbol Ø. Does this have a name?

G0D--note the zero, GØD
In the mid 1950's IFor those who may be wondering why as a student of theology--and, years ago, I did two years of graduate theological study at Boston university--in my signature, I write the divine name in a special way.

In my signature, instead of using the plain O as the central letter in the word GOD, I use Ø.

Here is why: For some time now, like Orthodox Jews, who write it G-d, I have wanted a symbol that expresses how I feel. It came to my mind that Divine Mind is connected with mathematics, as well as with literature. For some time, now, I have had a vague idea that Ø is a mathematical symbol. But I did not, consciously know what it meant.

Just recently, to check out my vague idea (revelation?) I googled on "mathematical symbols" and up came the following marvellous information, thank G0D ( I could use zero, 0, I suppose):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_mathematical_symbols
I discovered that Ø is used as part of the set theory of mathematics. It refers specifically to the set with no elements, that is, a null set. Imagine. Can there be such a thing?
Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set

In the word, which I concocted, the G, in GØD, stands for the highest good in all that is, including that which appears to be evil.

The Ø in GØD, is, as noted, a mathematical symbol. It stands for the no thing--not to be confused with nothing--and the everything, from which all things, mysteriously, emanate in a rational, scientific and orderly fashion.

The D stands the things desireable, artistically beautiful designs and purpose of all that is.

This fits in well with what most theologians--and I include myself--past and present, mean when they use the Latin phrase creatio ex nihilo--that is, the creation of things came out of no thing, fifteen billion years ago, at the BIG Bang.

Furthermore, it is possible for us to imagine that, right at this very moment, our cosmos is expanding into the no thing--in others words, GØD, as Spirit. Therefore, GØD, IMHO, is the no thing from which all things came and come. As Spirit, G�D, interpenetrates all things, and is the no thing into which all things expand.

ATHEISTS, WHAT IS NOTHING?
I wonder if atheists have a name for this no thing, which was there before the BIG Bang. And what about the no thing beyond the currently-expanding universe. Perhaps the god of atheism is called the no thing. Sounds okay to me, as long as it helps us all be good, loving and moral people--which I feel is the bottom line of all sound and healthy religions.

GØD AS PERSONAL BEING
I have been asked, "Do you believe that GØD is personal, in anyway shape or form?" Yes, I do. But this does not mean that, for me, GØD is a personal and objective being, who looks like you and me.

I like to believe that GØD is personal, in and through you and me, as persons. IMHO, we are, or can be, if we so choose, children--that is, sons and daughters--of GØD. This is another way of saying: We, as human beings, constitute that part of GØD we recognize as consciousness. As such, by the grace of GØD, we have at our disposal an enormous source of unconscious knowledge and power, which, if accessed lovingly and fortified by the attitude of Love (G0D is Love)--the highest good--could make life on earth a literal garden of Eden.

Interestingly, in Aramaic, the common language of Jesus' day, praying meant connecting with, or tuning into, the power of GØD, not pleading with a reluctant God. It is our resistance to the unconscious power of GØD which is the main cause of our failure to get the answers we need. Most prayers of petition get the silent-treatment because of our resistance the root cause of which is our having an arrogant ego.

If you will take the time to look for it, this is the basic teaching of the Gospels, as well as of the writings of Paul. Take note: In John 17:20-24, where Jesus tunes in to GØD and affirms his oneness with GØD, he includes all of us in the process. IMHO, when he says, "That all may be one"--the logo on the crest of the United Church of Canaada--with GØD, means ALL!!!! Also, take a look at John 10:34, where Jesus quotes Psalm 82: "I have said you are gods...".
===============================000000000000000000=============================
Summary: The words, gods, god, and God carry so much baggage that, in my humble opinion, perhaps the time has come for us to use a new and special symbol in the form of an anagram: GØD.
May I suggest that
1. the G stands for the highest good, agape-love. Agape-love relates to eros (sensual or physical love) and to philia (love of friend for friend) but it is not dependent on them. The Bible says, "GØD is Love". Originating in the human will, agape-love is justice and truth in action.

2. The Ø is a mathematical symbol, not unlike zero. It refers to a set without elements, relating to set theory. This links the GØD concept with mathematics, order and the sciences. GØD is the no thing--not to be confused with nothing.

3. D stands for the desirable and artistic design of things. This links GØD with the arts and the search for that which is truly beautiful.

4. GØD. in my opinion, is not a super human or person-like being, separate and apart from all that is, and looking for us to bow and scrape as subjects before a tyrant. But, rather, GØD is ALL being, total, universal and all-encompassing--physically, mentally and spiritually. GØD is all the knowledge, wisdom and power available, like an all powerful and infallible computer, just waiting to be used.
=========================00000000000000===========================
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jun 05, 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #5

Supreme God

If GØD should cease to exist tomorrow, how would we know it?
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jun 05, 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #6

Supreme God

Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 385

You would only know that God had ceased to exist when God had directed a new set of people to write down his words and recreate Him.
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Jun 05, 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #7

God

Member No.: 4768

QUOTE(rhymer @ Jun 05, 02:13 PM) *

You would only know that God had ceased to exist when God had directed a new set of people to write down his words and recreate Him.

Heh that has several levels to it Rymer and its all nicely sumed together.

As far as religion is concerned, we need to take a look at this in a diffrent perspective. Think about how many religions there are.. now think about how many say they are the only ones who are "right", now what is it that makes one religion more right than the other, besides personal opinion?
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jun 05, 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #8

Supreme God

Many will have realised that I have concluded that man created the Gods, generally to meet apparent needs.

Obviously, I realise that I may be wrong, and for that reason alone, I do not want others to assume the same conclusion, unless their own experience and reflections dictate otherwise.

I have no disrespect whatever for those who 'Believe' and proclaim their Faith, as long as I am allowed to express my own opinion, and as long as they do not force God down my throat (this will be tricky for those whose Faith dictates that they conscript more Followers).

May I rot in the imaginary Hell that frightens so many people, if I am wrong.

For me, acceptance of my own belief led to an awe-inspiring realisation of my personal responsibilty to Society and, at the same time, relief that no Devil was going to get me!

No sins - just unfair behaviour toward other citizens and animals and the environment. Forever on my conscience.
No forgiveness, unless citizens offered it (and what about Nature?).
+Quote Post
maximus242
post Jun 05, 2006, 07:05 PM
Post #9

God

Member No.: 4768

I agree Rhymer, I had come to the same conclusion a fair while ago, quite simply I found that we seemed to be divine and mortal, divine in the sense we created gods and mortal in the sense that they created us and thus we are our own creators, our own gods..
+Quote Post
post Jun 05, 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

Scientists are good at dissecting things, categorizing and classifying things, splitting and dividing things. Can they discover by this method the organic unity of life, the ultimate principle of life, the Truth, God ?
Buddha said, "The moment you are absolutely empty and aware, all is found."
Yet, in the West we have mostly lived through rational, analytical or logical knowledge, and have lost the inner dimension, the contact with our own innermost being.
We have been trying to understand life rationally, logically, and to discover or understand even God in a similar manner.
Has it ever occurred to us that the path to God is not through the head, but through the heart ?
That God is Love. LOVE is THE LAW. The jewel in the lotus... The Spirit, the divine presence, dwells in the heart.
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Jun 05, 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #11

God

From: Markham (Thornhill), part of the greater Toronto area, the GTA, just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

QUOTE(Rick @ Jun 05, 11:54 AM) *

If GØD should cease to exist tomorrow, how would we know it?
You mean: How would I (Rick) know it? This is like asking: If I was never born, would I know that I failed to make it? Or, how do I know that I know that I know...? Or that I don't know...?

But seriously, IMO, GØD is not a being who is subject to existence. GØD is beyond all categories.
+Quote Post
post Jun 06, 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #12

Unregistered

"Behold with the eyes of the heart, listen with the ears of the heart, live in the wisdom of the heart ...
The luminous path of the Heart is the path of Sacred service, of communion, and of synthesis.
Each consummation, each union, each great Cosmic unification, is achieved through the flame of the heart.
Verily, the foundation of the great steps are laid only through the heart.
The arcs of consciousness are fused by the flame of the heart.
Creation is impregnated with the sacred fire of the heart.
The quality of the magnet is inherent in the heart.
Heart links all manifestations." Agni Yoga
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jun 06, 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #13

Supreme God

Hello guest,

I am just a simple chap who thought the heart was a pump.
I did learn a while back from joesus that there are two heart types!
The other one is buried somewhere inside our bodies and has never been offered up for view on a platter.

I presume you are using other common words in a similar manner.
Since I cannot identify with this usage I cannot gain any information from your post!

Will you, therefore, be kind enough to define each of the following lines (used in your text in sequence) for my benefit?

the heart
the eyes of the heart
ears of the heart
wisdom of the heart
The luminous path of the Heart
path of Sacred service
communion
synthesis
consummation
union
great Cosmic unification
the flame of the heart
the foundation of the great steps
The arcs of consciousness
Creation is impregnated
the sacred fire of the heart
the magnet
manifestations
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Jun 06, 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #14

God

'rhymer' post='65700' date='Jun 06, 12:19 PM' I am just a simple chap who thought the heart was a pump....
Sometime ago, I remember a writer being interviewd over the CBC about a book he had written on the history of medicine.

He pointed out that the ancients were not aware of the importance of what we call the lungs. Because lungs collapse at death they appeared to the ancients just to be a veil over the heart. They actually believed that when they breathed the air went into the heart, not the lungs.

No wonder the ancients thought of the heart the central organ, of more importance than the brains. When the ancient Egyptians embalmed the body they simply discarded the brains as disposable waste. But they went to great length to preserve the heart, which they thought of as the seat of the human soul, or spirit.

BTW, even the great Aristotle thought that the brain was an organ used by the body simply to lubricate the nose and other bodily functions. Dare I say that many modern human beings seem to have the same low regard for their brains smile.gif
+Quote Post
post Jun 06, 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #15

Unregistered

There was a great philosopher who came to Buddha and said, "I have come to challenge you. I want to know what is your definition of truth."
Buddha asked him, "Have you come to know the truth by discussing it? Do you really want to know the truth, or just talk about it?"
The philosopher had never been faced with such a question. He said, "I really want to know the truth."
Then Buddha said, "Discussion is not going to help. I suggest one thing: for two years you have to remain silent -- no questions, no speaking, just relax so totally that even your thoughts disappear.
And when two years are over, you can ask your questions again."
And the philosopher went into silence...He forgot even to count the days. When two years had passed, Buddha had to remind him, "Do you have any question?"
The philosopher had tears of joy in his eyes, and he said, "All my questions have been answered...I have found the greatest treasure within myself."

Rhymer,
If You really want to know, then go on an inner journey...
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jun 07, 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #16

Supreme God

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 07, 04:11 AM) *

Rhymer,
If You really want to know, then go on an inner journey...

Hi Guest,

I must at first apologise to you for effectively questioning your beliefs.
I'm afraid I sidestepped my own principle of believing that we all have our own right to accept whatever we end up believing in.
It was your confusing statements which seem more mythical than explanatory which caused me to write my post!!

I have indeed spent 40 or more years replacing false thoughts with more realistic explanations for the Great Unknowns.
I have said myself that it is only possible for a person to achieve their own insight; and nearly impossible to teach someone else.
It is of course a cop-out, just as was that of Buddha, because there are no answers to the questions.
The Big Trick is realising what is wrong with the questions which are asked, and to realise what is needed by each individual.

Best regards.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jun 07, 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #17

Supreme God

Group: Full Member
Member No.: 845

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 06, 02:53 AM) *

Scientists are good at dissecting things, categorizing and classifying things, splitting and dividing things. Can they discover by this method the organic unity of life, the ultimate principle of life, the Truth, God ?

I think you are mistaking present scientists with those in the 19th century. the taxonomical approach is a very small part of modern science, although recording data is a priority (evidence, you see).
QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 06, 02:53 AM) *

Buddha said, "The moment you are absolutely empty and aware, all is found."

how did he know this? it could be true but the idea that it IS true..... i suppose the blind leading the blind could have new connotations. blind means less aware, so nearer to knowing all......... evidence please, and not miracles.

"be in no fear of nothing (no thing) for there is plenty of this when you are dead."
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jun 07, 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #18

Supreme God

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Jun 07, 02:40 AM) *

'rhymer' post='65700' date='Jun 06, 12:19 PM' I am just a simple chap who thought the heart was a pump....
Sometime ago, I remember a writer being interviewd over the CBC about a book he had written on the history of medicine.

He pointed out that the ancients were not aware of the importance of what we call the lungs. Because lungs collapse at death they appeared to the ancients just to be a veil over the heart. They actually believed that when they breathed the air went into the heart, not the lungs.

No wonder the ancients thought of the heart the central organ, of more importance than the brains. When the ancient Egyptians embalmed the body they simply discarded the brains as disposable waste. But they went to great length to preserve the heart, which they thought of as the seat of the human soul, or spirit.

BTW, even the great Aristotle thought that the brain was an organ used by the body simply to lubricate the nose and other bodily functions. Dare I say that many modern human beings seem to have the same low regard for their brains smile.gif

beware teleological statements. we know what we see, not what we are.
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jun 07, 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #19

Supreme God

QUOTE(rhymer @ Jun 06, 01:19 PM) *
... Will you, therefore, be kind enough to define each of the following lines (used in your text in sequence) for my benefit?

the heart
the eyes of the heart
ears of the heart
wisdom of the heart...

That type of usage refers to the heart "chakra," a nerve ganglion that we can sense emotional feeling in. That's why Saint Valentines Day greeting cards have hearts drawn on them. People feel love in their heart chakras.
+Quote Post
Hey Hey
post Jun 07, 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #20

Supreme God

QUOTE(Rick @ Jun 07, 08:21 PM) *

the heart "chakra," a nerve ganglion that we can sense emotional feeling in.

qué? not in gray's
+Quote Post
Rick
post Jun 07, 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #21

Supreme God

No, it doesn't appear to be in Gray's. Try here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomic_ganglion
+Quote Post
post Jun 07, 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #22

Unregistered

Heart is the center of being, both physical and spiritual. The heart represents the central wisdom of feeling, as opposed to head-wisdom of reason. Both represent intelligence, but the heart is also compassion, higher understanding, the sacred place, love.
In the world religious and mystic traditions the heart is very important -- it is the center of being; the eye of the heart is the spiritual center, the Absolute Intellect, illumination. The pilgrimage of a seeker, of a mystic, is the outward symbol of the inward journey to the heart, which is the seat of Intellect and the mysterious center where the Divine Spirit touches the human soul.
There are many expressions concerning the heart: to open one´s heart, to give one´s heart, a flaming heart, the Sacred Heart, and so on.

"My heart has opened unto every form ... I practice the religion of Love."
+Quote Post
post Jun 07, 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #23

Unregistered

Heart is the center of being, both physical and spiritual. The heart represents the central wisdom of feeling, as opposed to head-wisdom of reason. Both represent intelligence, but the heart is also compassion, higher understanding, the sacred place, love.
In the world religious and mystic traditions the heart is very important -- it is the center of being; the eye of the heart is the spiritual center, the Absolute Intellect, illumination. The pilgrimage of a seeker, of a mystic, is the outward symbol of the inward journey to the heart, which is the seat of Intellect and the mysterious center where the Divine Spirit touches the human soul.
There are many expressions concerning the heart: to open one´s heart, to give one´s heart, a flaming heart, the Sacred Heart, and so on.

"My heart has opened unto every form ... I practice the religion of Love."
+Quote Post
post Jun 07, 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #24

Unregistered

SCIENCE OR WISDOM ?

Are we reaching the point of no return ? Do we have time to reverse our collision course ?

The staggering pace of scientific and industrial progress over the past two centuries has placed us on a direct collision course with biodiversity, the product of millions of years of evolution.
Species have always disappeared as a result of the natural renewal of ecosystems. Yet the current rate of extinction is estimated to be up to a thousand times higher than normal.
Today we know that nearly 16,000 known species are directly endangered and some scientists fear that modern societies may be triggering the sixth great wave of extinction since life first appeared.
Many analysts think that it is time now to include in our quest for economic and human progress an awareness of our duties to nature and our responsibility to future generations.
Or, should we, rather, redefine the whole concept of human progress ?

"If our institutions and our consciousness are contrary to the fundamental organizing principles of evolution and nature, we are on a collision course." Yasuhiko Kimura

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." Thomas Huxley

"The world we have made, as a result of the level of thinking we have done thus far, creates problems we cannot solve at the same level of thinking at which we created them." Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Jun 07, 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #25

God

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 07, 04:36 PM) *

Heart is the center of being, both physical and spiritual.

What on earth does this mean. in practical terms? I agree that
QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 07, 04:36 PM) *
The heart represents the central wisdom of feeling, as opposed to head-wisdom of reason. Both represent intelligence, but the heart is also compassion, higher understanding, the sacred place, love....
if only I knew what it all means, I might have more to say.
BTW, do not allow me--with my matter of fact approach to things--stop you from saying what you feel is true, for you. Go ahead: be bold and poetic. All I ask is that you not be too sensitive, and that you be ready to agree to disagree, agreeably. smile.gif
+Quote Post
post Jun 07, 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #26

Unregistered

Lindsay,
You may read "Symbolic Christian Significance of the word "Heart"
http://www.netsonic.fi/~scjregfi/heart1.html
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Jun 07, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #27

God

QUOTE(Guest @ Jun 07, 06:13 PM) *

Lindsay,
You may read "Symbolic Christian Significance of the word "Heart"
http://www.netsonic.fi/~scjregfi/heart1.html
Good stuff. Thanks!
+Quote Post
rhymer
post Jun 08, 2006, 06:00 AM
Post #28

Supreme God

QUOTE(maximus242 @ Jun 06, 01:05 AM) *

I agree Rhymer, I had come to the same conclusion a fair while ago, quite simply I found that we seemed to be divine and mortal, divine in the sense we created gods and mortal in the sense that they created us and thus we are our own creators, our own gods..

You go further than I.

I don't regard man as divine at all.
Mans 'creation' of Gods involves thoughts only; the Gods do not exist in reality, only the thoughts about them are real and confined within the brains of those who hold them [in my opinion].

Neither do I believe that we create ourselves; that is down to our parents.
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post Jun 08, 2006, 07:31 AM
Post #29

God

There was once a brilliant computer scientist who was, also, a reluctant atheist and the son of a thelogically conservative minister, who had a child-like and unquestioning faith in God. Despite their differences the father and son loved and respected each other. Their debates were always friendly ones.

One day he said to his father: "Father, Voltaire once said that if God did not exist, we would have to invent him." Well, I think I have finally done just that. I have put together what I believe is an infallible, voice-activated computer. "Ask it any question that comes to your mind. If it fails to do so, I will believe in your God" said the son.

The son, loved his father. He simply questioned his father's child-like faith and challenged him to at least test out the computer. He said, "Dad, come and try my computer."

The father, who loved his son, agreed.

Sure enough, no matter what question the father--who was well read in philosophy, science, history, the Bible, theology, even mundane subjects, such as sports, asked, the computer gave the right answer.

The father was impressed. Then he said, "You know son, I have always been a man of faith, but I confess that there have been times when I have had my doubts as to whether or not there really is a God. The sudden death of your mother, despite all those prayers, was especially troubling to me."

Delighted to hear his father's humble confession the son replied: "Okay father, now is our chance to find out. Why don't we ask the computer. Why don't you go ahead and pop the question?"

Screwing up his courage, the father, gingerly, asked: "Infallible computer, please tell us: Is there a one true God and loving heavenly father?"

Immediately the room turned into a pink cloud. Out of the cloud came a strong and god-like voice: "No. What you call, God, is an idol created by the human imaginaton!"

This was followed by a period of deep silence. Gradually, the pink cloud disappeared. Then a soft female voice, not unlike that of the minister's wife, came from the computer, which now seemed to have an aura of light around it. The following words appeared on the screen as the voice spoke them:

"However, this does not mean that there is no GØD--a spirituality beyond any human ability to imagine and define. GØD as Spirit, is the highest good, Love; for 'GØD is Love.'"

TO ALL WHO SEEK THE HIGHEST GOOD.
"Dearly beloved, I see that both of you, despite your differences, love, honour, respect and are kind to one another and all you meet. You actually practice what you say you believe. Building on this kind of practical love, I want to remind you that, 'In the beginning GØD, created...is Spirit,,,and Love.'

"As one with GØD, we all have a lot more loving and creating to get done. And, by the way, we have an eternity of time and an infinity of space in which to do it. What's more, we now know that, deep within us, we all have a spiritual and infallible guide. What are we waiting for?' smile.gif
+Quote Post
post Jun 08, 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #30

Unregistered

"And if you would know God, be not therefore a solver of riddles.
Rather look about you and you shall see Him playing with your children.
And look into space; you shall see Him walking in the cloud, outstretching His arms in the lightning and descending in rain.
You shall see Him smiling in flowers, then rising and waving His hands in trees."

The Prophet
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 09:41 PM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

BrainMeta is supported by:

The Neurological Foundation & CerebralHealth.com

BrainMeta is enhanced by:

UVISI: Universal Virtual Intelligence Singularity Infinity
info@uvisi.com