Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Term for switching mental states?
Naimis
post Mar 08, 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 34970

Is there terminology for switching from one mental state to another memorized mental state at will on command? I don't simply mean changing one's mindset.

For instance, suppose I'm working at some task and it is all just flowing...creativity, focus, rate of completion, etc. So I memorize this mental state as photographically as possible...sensations, perception, scents, emotions, etc. Later, when feeling apathetic, I flash back to this mental state repeatedly until I am once again in the desired previous mental state.

I do this under a variety of circumstances for a variety of needs, and I'm guessing this is probably pretty common. Is there a formal term for such a process of state switching?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fortyfour
post Mar 31, 2013, 07:31 AM
Post #2

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 35014

I doubt its possible to exactly replicate a former mental state at will because i don't think you can accurately be fully aware of your entire mental state in the first place.

And where is this idea going anyway? Are you hoping that you can manipulate a mood by conjuring up a former mental experience.

I think you possibly could but i don't think its easy if you are not in the right frame of mind. eg if you are depressed, or at least when i'm depressed, i do'nt feel like trying to do such things. I might be able to go along with it a bit if someone were leading me, but i don't think anyone could successfully train me to do so that i would always do it.

one of the things with depression is that making effort is hard and everything is an effort and it doesn't seem worth it.

So maybe you can explain more about what this is all about in case i am on the wrong track.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 09:20 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

BrainMeta is supported by:

The Neurological Foundation & CerebralHealth.com

BrainMeta is enhanced by:

UVISI: Universal Virtual Intelligence Singularity Infinity
info@uvisi.com