4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> life
martin
post Oct 24, 2003, 11:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Basic Member
Member No.: 574

the meaning of life,,, what is it, why are we living, as individuals, as a species, as a global community.
is it simply survival and continuence of life, natures response to an acceptable environment, is it divine and spiritual, a stage in the cycle that is our being, is it meaningless, subject to the whims of imagination and circumstance???? anyone?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:09 AM
Post #2

Aspiring

Member No.: 651

It is all that and much, much more. But for you, it is precisely what you choose to make of it. Nobody else can make it for you.
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:22 AM
Post #3

God

Member No.: 96

the meaning of life is happiness
+Quote Post
martin
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:22 AM
Post #4

ahh, but could someone explain it for me.
+Quote Post
martin
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:24 AM
Post #5

i'm not happy, does that mean my life has no meaning
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #6

God

that means your aim is to find happiness
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #7

Aspiring

[quote author=Dan link=board=5;threadid=3066;start=0#msg14996 date=1067059326]
the meaning of life is happiness
[/quote]

no, don't listen to Dan. He'll lead you astray. wink.gif

I wouldn't recommend aiming for happiness, since this leads to vanity and self-disgust.

There is more to life than happiness. Look for meaning in your inner vision, heart, and experiences. Look into yourself. The meaning is there. You must find it. You must create it. You must bring it to the surface of your consciousness.
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:37 AM
Post #8

God

[quote]I wouldn't recommend aiming for happiness, since this leads to vanity and self-disgust. [/quote]
I'm saying that the aim for happiness is the fundamental vector of life. Even you aim for happiness, Bleubear, whether you recognize it or not. Perhaps your understanding of this fact is incomplete, thus you conceive of this aim as a pretentious sideshow to be avoided

tsk, tsk...

8)
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:45 AM
Post #9

Aspiring

no, I understood you, but I still maintain that aiming for happiness is a mistake that will lead to emptiness and self-disgust. We learn from experience, and thankfully, we can learn from other people's experiences too. But it has been my experience that aiming for happiness is misguided. Instead of specifically aiming for anything like happiness, why not simply engage in meaningful activity in the HERE and NOW? Self-less action is often meaningful, for example. Happiness will be yours, but in general, you should not aim for it, but instead focus on meaning. Our actions, perceptions, interpretations, and associations are all sources of meaning. In the end, meaning is something we create ourselves. If your life lacks meaning, then create some. Also, maybe investigating other sources (mental or physical fatigue, stress, boredom, etc..) would be useful for determining influences that may be dampening the meaning that you otherwise would experience.
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:08 AM
Post #10

God

I say you are describing how you aim for happiness. All that stuff you seek to do, all those moments that feel meaningful, all those pretensions you reject, all that is what you must do to be happy

smile.gif
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:12 AM
Post #11

Aspiring

but still, happiness is not what I aim for. Read the biographies and, preferably, autobiographies of great men, and they'll, in general, tell you the same thing. Do you think they would all be lying? Do you think happiness was what they aimed for? Of course not, precisely because there is much more to life than happiness. If you're so keen about being happy, Dan, then why aren't you popping 10 prozac a day, or are you? ohmy.gif Maybe you have ulterior motives you'd like to share with us, hmmm?
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:36 AM
Post #12

Aspiring

you know i was just joking about the prozac thing, Dan.

anyway, i'm off to dream of flying through lands of golden honey.

user posted image

+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:50 AM
Post #13

God

for a person who speaks with such intelligence, I am surprised that you can't understand what I am saying. Maybe you can enlighten with some counter-examples to my claim? I would be happy to be informed

wink.gif

+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:53 AM
Post #14

Aspiring

"Well-being and happiness never appeared to me as an absolute aim. I am even inclined to compare such moral aims to the ambitions of a pig." -Einstein

That's right! The ambitions of a pig. wink.gif

There are many more examples I can come up with, but maybe another time.

zzzzzzz
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 02:02 AM
Post #15

God

I bet Einstein was more than happy to say that. Sweet revenge of a tortured soul, to denigrate the satisfied simpleton.

I remain unconvinced. I require more evidence

tongue.gif
+Quote Post
martin
post Oct 25, 2003, 10:06 AM
Post #16

i am of the opinion that life, in general, has little meaning, happy or not, selfless or selfish, living in the here and now or trapped in the past, dreaming of the future, it matters not, we may convince ourselves that we have found happiness, or dream up a meaning for our life, but does it really matter, both are quite subjective, created by the indivudual, for the indivudual, and the days roll by, meaningful or meaningless, all the same.
+Quote Post
jana t.
post Oct 25, 2003, 11:05 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 638

In my view, happiness is not something that you can have, but rather it is something quite ephemeral, quite fleeting and brief. It is a small and passing moment that we experience with recognition. And these small moments of happiness can only be recognized or seen by those who accept their nature. Those who seek happiness as an ends, as an extended and stable state that they can attain, well these people are not only destined for a lifetime of dissatisfaction...but also, in their preoccupation with this “ends of happiness” they risk becoming blind to the true moments of happiness that can be found so easily, if you are looking for them.

The meaning of life is to seek.
To seek those brief moments of truth, beauty, happiness, peace, glory, power or whatever it is that drives your soul.

Satisfaction is another issue.
I would suggest that satisfaction in a meaningful life depends on that which you have chosen to seek

The fact that you are all seeking answers to this question of life, suggests that your lives are all in fact, very meaningful.

But are you satisfied?
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 11:59 AM
Post #18

God

satisfaction is the road into happiness. If you feel satisfied, you are on track
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:37 PM
Post #19

Aspiring

here's a little more food for thought:

"The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise man grows it under his feet."
-James Openhelm

"Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder."
-Henry David Thoreau

"For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin – real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination."
-Souza

"Humankind is staggering blindly towards a crisis, enslaved by its material desires and the deluded belief that the aim of life is personal happiness. The aim of life should be contentment, or self-containment"
-Ray Parkin

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose."
-Helen Keller

"The ultimate aim of life is victory over death."
-Swami Satyananda Saraswati

"The pursuit of happiness is a most ridiculous phrase: if you pursue happiness, you'll never find it."
-C. P. Snow

"At present human society is being misled by leaders who are blind, for they do not know the aim and objective of human life, which is self-realization and the reestablishment of our lost relationship with the Supreme Personality of Godhead."
-Swami Prabhupada

"These Fools imagine that desire and enjoyment are all the aim of life and (in their inordinate and insatiable pursuit of it) they are the prey of a devouring, a measurelessly unceasing care and thought and endeavour and anxiety till the moment of their death. "
-from Aurobindo's translation of the Gita

"The aim of life is to live it intensely, to be fully born, to be fully awake."
-Erich Fromm

"The aim of life is the intuitive realisation of the Self. For, the Self is the substratum for everything, the cause for everything, and the soul for everything."
-Swami Omkarananda

"The goal of life consists in the full realization of all human potential"
-Dilthey

+Quote Post
Joesus
post Oct 25, 2003, 12:40 PM
Post #20

Supreme God

Member No.: 601

Life is the manifestation of Expression. What is the purpose? Because you can, or actually it is the nature of the creator. That ability of the creator to create is natural and therefore the most perfect state of being for the creator.
Definitions of meaning as applied to life is ego or the manifest mechanism that allows consciousness to experience itself. The further away from its source as the creator in knowing and being that, the ego identifies with its relative manifestation and becomes immersed not in its Self but in its outer manifestation.
Happiness in dualistic relative terms means to feel happy as opposed to sadness.
Bliss has been attached to a higher meaning of fulfillment that is achieved not from anything in life but from pure being. Being not the emotion or the experience or the expression but the Self in its form and function.
You can be happy or blissful in sadness and even anger if you are released from any judgment or condition that may be placed on the expression/life.
The human expression is not limited to anything other than the presupposed limitations you apply to yourself and life. This loss of awareness and inability to realize the Self as the creator leads to dual interpretation of happiness and sadness, sickness and health, anger and joy.
These separate identifications of being when united into a whole expression become less effective as the illusionary boundaries of expression when the conscious awareness rises above the idea of suffering within these associative limited realities.

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was once asked if it wouldn't be more productive to feed the hundgry man rather than teach him how to be conscious.
His reply was if you teach him to be more conscious he becomes energized by his knowledge of Self and his objective approach to life, becomes more enabled to create as opposed to being a victim to circumstance and therefore becomes a 'Happy" hungry man.
It still makes me smile, the look on his face as he happily bounced in his seat telling the student the story in the university auditorium. smile.gif
+Quote Post
jana t.
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:01 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 638

[quote author=Dan link=board=5;threadid=3066;start=0#msg15030 date=1067101141]
satisfaction is the road into happiness. If you feel satisfied, you are on track
[/quote]

In my view, if you are satisfied, then you have achieved a sense of arrival upon finding that which you have sought. (So for me, satisfaction comes when you arrive at your destination, rather than along the road to it).

If finding moments of happiness gives you that sense of arrival, then seeking moments of happiness (as one possible action that describes a meaningful life) does indeed bring you satisfaction, and you are satisfied with the meaning of your life.

In contrast, for example, if achievement of greatness or power does not give you that same sense of arrival, once you have found these things, then perhaps seeking these things (as other possible activities that describe a meaningful life) are misguided activities for you.

That is not to say that your life has no meaning if you are dissatisfied, but perhaps that which you have chosen to seek has rendered your efforts futile, because in finding them, you do not feel like you have found what you seek.

+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:07 PM
Post #22

God

your appeal to many authorities still does not convince me. I find it ironic that so many of your authorities are actually interested being happy. Perhaps you are mistaking a superficial and temporary acquisition of happiness for what I am talking about. I agree with the implication of your authorities; finding true happiness is not an obvious endeavor

tongue.gif
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:17 PM
Post #23

Aspiring

[quote author=Dan link=board=5;threadid=3066;start=#msg15036 date=1067105252]
your appeal to many authorities still does not convince me.
[/quote]

my appeal to authority was only to point out that we can learn from the experiences of others, and in particular, that we can learn from great men who would have us learn such things.

It's quite clear to me that the aims of life should be the realization of your latent potential, self-development, self-knowledge, self-actualization, expanding consciousness, meaning, and the realization of God and Truth. Happiness is a mere by-product that should not be aimed for. Self-satisfaction and contentment are temporary because our very nature is insatiable, pushing us ever upwards towards further self-development and self-realization. Self-satisfaction and contentment should not necessarily be expected during the white heat of one's life, but might be hoped for or expected at the dusk of one's life before death. There is no convincing me that happiness should be the aim of life. I've been there, done that, and I've learned that 'that' is not the way. There are much worthier aims in life, and I would have to concur with Einstein about happiness.

+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #24

God

do you want to be happy? Do you find unhappiness satisfying?
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #25

God

[quote]There is no convincing me that happiness should be the aim of life. I've been there, done that, and I've learned that 'that' is not the way. [/quote]
so, basically, you weren't happy with your 'happiness' (i.e., you weren't actually happy) Maybe you had simply chosen a simplistic route to happiness and it failed. Ever thought of that? ???

+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:23 PM
Post #26

Aspiring

[quote author=Dan link=board=5;threadid=3066;start=#msg15039 date=1067106015]
do you want to be happy?
[/quote]

No. I experience happiness, as well as a range of other emotions, but I do not aim for them or make them my goals in life.
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:26 PM
Post #27

God

[quote]No. I experience happiness, as well as a range of other emotions, but I do not aim for them or make them my goals in life. [/quote]
I say that you experience happiness by pursuing your goals. In fact, this happiness is what gives your goals meaning
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:30 PM
Post #28

Aspiring

[quote author=Dan link=board=5;threadid=3066;start=#msg15040 date=1067106207]
so, basically, you weren't happy with your 'happiness' (i.e., you weren't actually happy) Maybe you had simply chosen a simplistic route to happiness and it failed. Ever thought of that? ???
[/quote]

no, quite the contrary. I often found happiness if I aimed for it, but such happiness was invariably temporary and fleeting because I was aiming for the wrong thing in life. And I soon realized that such temporary happiness is emptiness and vanity, and it resulted in self-disgust, and so I sought for something more lasting, and what I found was that true, lasting happiness is a mere by-product of worthier aims in life, such as self-realization, self-development, and the realization of God, but happiness itself should never be made into the aim of life.
+Quote Post
Dan
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:32 PM
Post #29

God

you said it right there, 'bluebear'!

[quote]I often found happiness if I aimed for it, but such happiness was invariably temporary and fleeting [/quote]
i.e., those ways of being happy invariably failed and you had to find a better way to happiness.
+Quote Post
bluebear
post Oct 25, 2003, 01:33 PM
Post #30

Aspiring

[quote author=Dan link=board=5;threadid=3066;start=0#msg15042 date=1067106367]
I say that you experience happiness by pursuing your goals. In fact, this happiness is what gives your goals meaning
[/quote]

I would agree that happiness is a by-product of pursuing worthy goals, but nonetheless, it is not what I aim for, and it certainly is not what gives my goals meaning. What is happiness? It's a rather paltry emotion, little different from the sensations of pleasure and pain. There is little, if any, meaning in the experience of happiness alone as such.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2019 - 04:37 AM

Home     |     About     |    Research     |    Forum     |    Feedback  

Copyright BrainMeta. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use  |  Last Modified Tue Jan 17 2006 12:39 am

BrainMeta is supported by:

The Neurological Foundation & CerebralHealth.com

BrainMeta is enhanced by:

UVISI: Universal Virtual Intelligence Singularity Infinity
info@uvisi.com